Learning how to sell a product on Amazon can be a great opportunity to maximize your company’s profit. Amazon stated that nearly 50% of all the products sold on their platform come from Marketplace Sellers (external sellers like yourself), so taking this opportunity to learn how to do it can be a rewarding choice for your business.
In this article, you can learn what steps you need to take to sell a product on Amazon in 5 simple steps.
1. Choose your Amazon Seller Account
On Amazon’s Seller Central, you can register for a new Seller Account. You can choose between two options:
- Individual Seller Account: a unique fee will be charged for each item sold.
- Professional (Pro) Seller Account: a monthly subscription fee will be charged, no matter the number of units sold.
If you’re looking to grow your business, you should not hesitate to open a Professional Account.
Understand you may not sell a product on Amazon just because you have a professional account, but you will improve your chances of making a sale.
2. Set up your account
Setting up your account is a simple process. You’ll need to give your seller information, (keep your EIN or valid Social Security Number at hand), and complete a short tax interview online.
You’ll be asked to complete a short survey, and after that, your account will be set up.
3. Choose between Fulfillment Options
The next decision you have to make is whether you want to self-fulfill your customer’s orders or have Amazon fulfill them for you.
- Self-Fulfillment: When a customer purchases an item from you, you can either print out a prepaid postage label from your Amazon account and benefit from Amazon approved carriers or use your own favorite carrier and postage label.
- Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA): You’ll need to send a stock of your items to Amazon’s warehouse. Amazon will ship your products and handle customer service and returns on your behalf.
For more tips, see our detailed FBA Guide for Beginners.
4. Products Selection
If you want to build a long-term business, the ideal product to sell on Amazon is your own line of branded items.
No matter how tempting, you should avoid selling trending products just for the sake of it. If you’re lucky enough, you may have some income, but it won’t last long. Above all, this isn’t a good strategy to build a serious, long-lasting business.
5. Add your products to the Amazon Catalog
Once your products are ready, you’ll need to create a new product listing on Amazon’s Catalog. You can do this through your Seller Dashboard. From the “Inventory” tab, you can access the feature to add a new product to the catalog.
This is an important step. Here are some tips to optimize your Amazon Product Page:
Optimize Your Product Title:
- Keep your title under 200 characters in length (Amazon may suppress your listing if it’s longer).
- Make it concise and descriptive.
- Include the most important keywords in it.
- Include the quantity count within the product package (if applicable).
- Follow Amazon’s Guidelines (you can find them in Seller Central).
Optimize Your Amazon Product Images:
- Use a white background.
- Images should be at least 1,000 x 500 pixels to be zoomable on the product page.
- Use real pictures of your products.
- Show your product in use when possible.
- Add detail and angle shots.
Optimize Your Amazon Product Description:
- Present your product’s features clearly. Don’t make customers search for information and never be contradictory.
- Refer to the problem your product may help solve.
Now that your products are available to sell on Amazon, you are ready to get your first sale!
To discover more tips that can help you make money online, please check out our free online training center. Inside we share with you tips on how to sell other people products on Amazon. This is just another example of how you can make money online with WiFi Entrepreneur.